Wednesday, October 30, 2013

About my New Media Project #2 (available for viewing at https://vimeo.com/78178716 )



My piece (at https://vimeo.com/78178716 ) is about one of my first media psychology lessons, which was taught to me by an unlikely teacher. As the Buddhist proverb goes "When the student is ready the teacher will appear." I’ve actually told this story hundreds of times and it featured in the autobiography that I submitted for admission to my PhD program. It is one of my best (and favorite) personal anecdotes on the direct-indirect nature of communications, with applications personal, inter-personal, and trans-social. 

Technically the piece is really more of a web collage. It wasn’t what I ideally had in mind, as the story-table hints, but given my technical constraints (both skill and available technology) I think it communicates the essence of the story well. I’ll admit the audio is pretty crappy (there was only so much I could do with a $15 dollar Radio Shack microphone and a 4 year old laptop). But I think the graphics are effective and demonstrate my videographic and photographic training, especially since I was producing “on the fly”.

No comments:

Post a Comment